SILVIA STEFANIA ROSSI
Department of Drug Sciences, University of Pavia (SSD CHIM09)
Degree in Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Technology (1988); specialization degree in Industrial Pharmacy (1991); PhD degree in Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Technology (1995).
1998 -2006 Assistant Professor
2006-present Associate Professor
Teaching (AY 2019-2020)
Pharmaceutical Technology and Legislation II (12 ETCS)- Master’s degree course in Pharmacy
Innovative Drug Delivery Systems (3 ETCS)- Master’s degree course in Pharmacy, Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Technology, Medical and Pharmaceutical Biotechnologie
Teacher in II level postgraduate Master’s courses in:
- Preformulation, Pharmaceutical Development and Control of Medicinal Products
- Pharmaceutical Technology and Regulatory Affairs;
- cGMP compliance & validation in Pharmaceutical Companies;
in I level European Master in Nanomedicine for Drug Delivery (NANOMED).
Teacher in PhD courses of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences and Related Industrial Innovation
Coordinator of II level postgraduate Master’s courses in Preformulation, Pharmaceutical Development and Control of Medicinal Products
Member of the Teaching board of II level postgraduate Master’s courses (Department of Drug Sciences) in:
- Pharmaceutical Technology and Regulatory Affairs
- cGMP compliance & validation in Pharmaceutical Companies
Member and deputy-coordinator of the teaching board of PhD course in Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences and Related Industrial Innovation, University of Pavia
Member of the Research board of the Department of Drug Sciences
Member of the Board of Discipline of the University of Pavia
The research interests concern pharmaceutical development of conventional and modified release formulations. Early research works focused on the characterization of mucoadhesive materials and the development of mucoadhesive drug delivery systems such as gels, film, matrices and nanoparticles for buccal, vaginal and ophthalmic administration. Other research interest involved the study of polymer-drug ionic interaction in the oral controlled drug delivery.
Current research concerns the development of: i) semisolid (in situ gel forming) and solid (sponge-like dressings, films, particulate systems) formulations for the treatment of mucosal, corneal and skin lesions/infections; ii) nanofiber systems for the treatment of chronic ulcers and nervous tissue injuries. Such formulations are based on polysaccharide polymers and are characterized by a particular morphology that allow them to support cell adhesion and migration. Moreover, they are able to release in a controlled way drugs able to improve tissue regeneration eventually in association with hemoderivatives (such as platelet lysate, rich in growth factors).
Scientific responsibility of five projects (in the years 2017-2020) commissioned by pharmaceutical companies.
- European Commission H2020-NMBP-HUBS-2018, Project ID: 814607 “SAFETY TESTING IN THE LIFE CYCLE OF NANOTECHNOLOGY-ENABLED MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIES FOR HEALTH” (member of Pavia unit; 2019-2022);
- Foundation University4Innovation – U4I: Project “Chondroitin sulfate scaffold for skin engineering” member of the research group.
Total number of refereed publications
189 papers published on scientific journals, 10 patents, 19 book chapters; more than 300 communications/posters in scientific meetings; H index (December 2020): 47 (Google Scholar); 40 (Scopus)
Five recent (2017-2020) representative papers (*corresponding author)
- Vigani B., Rossi S.*, Sandri G., Bonferoni M.C., Rui M., Collina S., Fagiani F., Lanni C., Ferrari F. Dual-functioning scaffolds for the treatment of spinal cord injury: Alginate nanofibers loaded with the sigma 1 receptor (S1R) Agonist RC-33 in chitosan films, Marine Drugs 18 (2020), article number 21
- Tenci M., Rossi S.*, Giannino V., Vigani B., Sandri G., Bonferoni M.C., Daglia M., Longo L.M., Macelloni C., Ferrari F., An In Situ Gelling System for the Local Treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). The Loading of Maqui (Aristotelia chilensis) Berry Extract as an Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Agent, Pharmaceutics 11 (2019) 611
- Vigani B., Rossi S.*, Sandri G., Bonferoni M.C., Caramella C.M., Ferrari F. Hyaluronic acid and chitosan-based nanosystems: a new dressing generation for wound care, Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery 16 (2019) 715
- Vigani B., Rossi S.*, Sandri G., Bonferoni M.C., Milanesi G., Bruni G., Ferrari F., Coated electrospun alginate-containing fibers as novel delivery systems for regenerative purposes, International Journal of Nanomedicine 13 (2018) 6531
- Tenci M., Rossi S.*, Aguzzi C., Carazo E., Sandri G., Bonferoni M.C. , Grisoli, P., Viseras C., Caramella C.M., Ferrari F., Carvacrol/clay hybrids loaded into in situ gelling films, International Journal of Pharmaceutics 531 (2017) 676-688